YouTube is one of the biggest social media platforms nowadays. When it comes to traffic, YouTube is second to Facebook (2.07 billion monthly active users) at 1.5 billion monthly active users. It beats Instagram by 700 million and Twitter by 1.2 million. This is why a lot of companies put their advertisements on YouTube. If you’re thinking of doing the same thing, you should first learn about the basics of YouTube advertising. Here’s how it works:
Types of YouTube Advertisements
The first thing you need to know is the different formats of YouTube advertisements. There are six types:
- Display ads are supported on desktops. They appear on the right side of the screen, above the video suggestions list.
- Overlay ads appear on the lower 20% of videos; they are semi-transparent banners. They are also supported on desktops.
- Skippable video ads appear on desktops, mobile devices, TVs, and game consoles. These long video advertisements, which the viewer can skip after a duration of 5 seconds, can be inserted prior to, while playing, or after the main video is played.
- Non-skippable video ads appear on desktops as well as mobile devices. They are short video advertisements that are 15 to 30 seconds long, which the viewer must watch before the main video plays. They can also be inserted during and after the video.
- Bumper ads are the same as non-skippable video ads, except they are only up to 6 seconds long.
- Sponsored cards show relevant products that have been mentioned in the main video. They are supported on desktop and mobile devices, and appear on the screen for a few seconds.
How to Advertise on YouTube
Depending on the format of your advertisement, the manner of placing them on YouTube will also vary. For picture ads such as display ads and overlay ads, here are the steps:
- In your AdWords account, click the “Campaigns” tab.
- Click on “Display Network” and then select “+ Targeting” where you need to choose an ad group.
- Once you’ve chosen the ad group, click “Add targeting” and then “Placements” from the drop-down menu.
- Next, put “youtube.com” in the text box, click search, and then use the double arrows to place your picture ads on the website.
- Finally, close and save the changes you made.
For video ads such as skippable, non-skippable, and bumper ads, the steps are much more complicated. The basic thing you need to know about video ads is TrueView, a tool created by Google to ensure advertisers that they only have to pay for their placements if the viewer chooses to watch the ads. Of course, you will also need an AdWords account to be able to place video ads on YouTube.
YouTube Advertising Agency
Instead of managing your YouTube advertisements yourself, you can always hire an agency to help you out. For instance, a YouTube display advertising agency will make sure that your display ads appear on relevant channels. So, if you’re selling make-up tools and brushes, your display ads will be placed on beauty channels. A display ad about running shoes will appear on fitness channels, exercise videos, and similar.
The best way to advertise YouTube and to maximise your audience reach is to hire a YouTube advertising agency. It will allow you to focus on other aspects of your business without having to worry about your advertisements.